In-person testing for free adult literacy programs serving residents of Hunterdon and Somerset counties has been scheduled for late September and early October. This testing helps determine participants’ skill levels for placement in upcoming fall classes.
The program providers, Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) and the Hunterdon County Educational Services Commission (HCECS), are part of the Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board’s Literacy Committee, which seeks to share information about and expand the effectiveness of the free literacy programs in the two counties.
Programs are funded by a Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act federal grant that provides assistance to adults in gaining the necessary literacy and English skills to participate in workforce training programs and employment.
Raritan Valley Community College
RVCC is offering free literacy and English language skills to help individuals prepare for employment in the in-demand food service industry. Classes will be offered online in the evenings beginning in October.
Classes in the Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education Program will focus on skills such as listening, speaking and writing. Class participants who complete the literacy program and complete 10 hours of training in the areas of appreciation, prevention, avoidance and reduction of health hazards and safety in the workplace will be eligible to receive either the ServSafe Food Handler or OSHA 10 certification. These certifications are required by the majority of entry-level restaurant or food service jobs.
Testing has been scheduled at the following times, date and locations:
- 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 22, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 29, Somerset County Administration Building, Human Resources Training Room, third floor, 20 Grove St., Somerville
- 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30,10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Oct. 1, 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 7 and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 214 Church St., Bound Brook
- 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 6, RVCC Workforce Training Center, Room 216, Lamington Road, Branchburg
To register for any of these testing sessions, visit https://www.raritanval.edu/literacy. For more information, email Bonnie.Scharf@raritanval.edu or call 908-526-1200, ext. 8686.
Hunterdon County Education Services Commission
High school equivalency, basic computer skills and English Language acquisition classes are offered by the HCESC at four in-person locations in the two counties.
Testing for daytime English Language Acquisition classes at the following locations will be offered at:
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 21, Thursday, Sept. 23, Tuesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sept. 30 at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 300 Union Ave., Somerville
- 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 20, Wednesday, Sept. 22, Monday, Sept. 27 and Wednesday, Sept. 29 at Flemington Adult Literacy Center, 8 Bartles Corner Road, Suite 205, Flemington
Testing for evening English Language Acquisition classes at the following locations will be offered at:
- 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 4, Wednesday, Oct. 6, Monday, Oct. 11, and Wednesday, Oct. 13 at location to be determined.
- 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 20, Wednesday, Sept. 22, Monday, Sept. 27 and Wednesday, Sept. 29 at Flemington Adult Literacy Center, 8 Bartles Corner Road, Suite 205, Flemington.
Testing for evening High School Equivalency preparation and English Language Acquisition classes at Franklin Middle School, 415 Francis St., Somerset, will be offered at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 4, Tuesday, Oct. 5 and Wednesday, Oct. 6.
Testing and orientation for an online English Language Acquisition class will be offered at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 5, and Thursday, Oct. 7, at the Somerset County Administration Building, Human Resources Training Room, third floor, 20 Grove St., Somerville.
For the registration packets and program details, visit www.hunterdonesc.org and click on the links for Adult Programs / English Classes or High School Equivalency. For details in Hunterdon County, email email@example.com or call 908-237-5000. For details in Somerset County, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-541-5781.
Other literacy programs
Volunteers at Hunterdon Helpline provide free literacy services through one-on-one, barrier-free individualized instruction. Email email@example.com or call 908-782-4357.
Volunteers at the Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County provide free English Language Acquisition through free one-on-one tutoring. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 908-725-5430, or visit LiteracySomerset.org.
In addition, individuals may contact either organization to learn about how to become a program tutor.
The Hunterdon County Library offers a weekly online English Conversation Group. Email email@example.com or call 908-713-7005.
The HCESC also operates two Workforce Learning Link sites offering adult literacy programs. These programs, offered through the Greater Raritan One-Stop Career Center, have virtual and in-person components. Visit www.hunterdonesc.org and click on the Adult Programs/Workforce Learning Link.
Weekly text updates highlight career and job opportunities in Somerset and Hunterdon counties. Text “onestop” to 565-12 to sign up. Additional information on career-development programs offered by the partners of the Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board can be found on www.thegrwdb.org.